Help Save An Animal!

Friday, July 22, 2011

NO MORE BLANK SCREEN: Blogging Ideas for Fiction Authors by Krista D. Ball



Title: NO MORE BLANK SCREEN: Blogging Ideas for Fiction Authors
Release Date: June 15, 2011
Author: Krista D. Ball
Author Website       
Genre: non-fiction/reference
Buy Links: 

Blurb:
Blogging should never be a painful chore.

No More Blank Screen contains over two hundred blog post ideas.

The blog ideas and questions-to-ponder attempt to cover the full experience spectrum that is encountered along the path to publication and well beyond.

Along with the blog ideas, the basics of blog creation is covered, plus special notes on guest blogging and avoiding the dreaded "pretentious" label.

Regardless if you are a new writer or an experienced author, No More Blank Screen can help you expand your blogging experience.

Welcome Krista, I'm so thrilled to have you here!  To get started, what is your latest offering?
A bit of a stray from my usual fiction. I get asked a lot of questions about blogging and what to blog about. So, I decided to write a book about it!

What is No More Blank Screen all about?
It's an idea book. There's some information on getting started with a blog and things to consider. But, the bulk of the book is ideas to help writers especially come up with things to blog about.

That sounds like a book I need! Was there anything in particular that inspired this book, or did your muse come up with it?
I'm not sure why, but I get asked a lot about blogging at conventions and online. It isn't that I have a really popular blog or anything; I'm no Joe Konrath over here. But, for whatever reason, people have found my blogs interesting (I have three) and have asked how I keep it going. So, I decided that there was a place out there for this kind of niche book.

Who is your cover artist and how much input do you have in the design?
My good friend, Michelle (her blog), is taking time out of her world travels to work a bit before she scoots off on her next adventure. I asked her to do a very simple, basic design. She really wanted to go all out, but I'm a simply kinda gal J

If you could co-author a book with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Jane Austen. Our combined snarky dialogue would make us rulers of the world.

What books are in your TBR pile?
Too many! Right now, I have just over a hundred. Some are my own and others are ones I've agreed to review. A bulk won't get reviewed until the fall, when my own schedule calms down. However, whenever I get a chance, I sit down and read another book.

When you begin a new book, do you write it straight through, or do you work on more than one story at a time?
I go in spurts. I work on one project until I'm mentally drained and switch to another until the gears start moving. I try to have one major project, with two side projects to fiddle with. Eventually, the side projects become the new major project, etc.

Right now, I'm working on more projects than I'd normally consider healthy. However, I'm planning on having a calmer 2012.

Tell me a little about your back list, and which of these is your own personal favorite?
My backlist right now is short. As in, all shorts. I've enjoyed all of the projects because I wrote them without an audience or publishing in mind. I simply wrote them for what was in my heart at the time.

My upcoming novels are really where I'm focused right now. I sold two novels this year, so I'll have a military SF out in November, an urban fantasy novella I'm self-publishing around Christmas, and an epic fantasy with Mundania Press in the early spring. I'm kinda in between right now - the world of shorts behind and the world of novels ahead.

What are you working on at the moment?
The major project I'm working on currently is the second book of my epic fantasy series, Tales of Tranquility. So, that means I have two side projects J The first one is the novella I'm planning to self-publish in December or thereabouts. The second is one of the short stories I wrote during NaNoWriMo 2010.

Thank you for joining me, Krista, if I twist your arm would you give us an excerpt? J
Sure! Here's a section of ideas, to help people get started on their own blogs!

EXCERPT:
Why Do You Write, Anyway?

The first time I was asked this question was in a blog interview. It stumped me. I had to think about it. Writing comes naturally to me. It just happens. Even when I'm not physically writing, I'm still writing in my head, jotting mental notes for later, sketching out scenes, and noting interesting things I come across. And let's not even discuss when I talk to myself, mumbling about zombies and Vikings.

Answering the following questions will help your readers understand what makes you tick. You might even learn something about yourself. Or, in my case, get even more confused about why I write.

1. Why do you write? Are the reasons different for each of your projects?
2. Do you write to entertain first, or make people think/challenge their opinions first? Have you ever written to educate readers?
3. When did you first discover you enjoyed writing?
4. What was the first negative thing ever said about your work? What was your reaction? How did you keep going?
5. What are your writing fears? These can change as time goes on so come back to them often.

Bonus idea: Would you compromise how or what you write for money? (A special thanks to A. "Merc" Rustad for this idea. ).

1 comment: