Help Save An Animal!

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Showboat Affair by Gwyneth Greer


Title: The Showboat Affair
Release Date: April 15, 2011
Author: Judy Nickles writing as Gwyneth Greer
Genre: Contemporary romance/Last Rose of Summer (older lovers)


Blurb: Despite over thirty years in a faithless marriage to wealthy investment broker Rand Kingston, Jean is  shocked when he asks for a divorce. Encouraged by her former housekeeper-turned-best-friend, she determines to rediscover herself as an independent woman and move on with her life. Nick Cameron, prominent attorney and long-time widower, would like to figure in her plans. The opposition of their adult children surprises them. Then, a series of chilling near misses makes them wonder who really is determined to keep them apart—and why. 

Welcome Judy, I'm so thrilled to have you here!  To get started, what is your latest offering? 
My lastest release from The Wild Rose Press is The Showboat Affair.
What is The Showboat Affair all about? 
It’s the story of two lonely people trying to move on with their lives. Nick Cameron is a prominent attorney and long-time widower. When he meets Jean Kingston, he realizes that he is finally ready to love again. However, Jean has just been ‘dumped’ by her husband after thirty-three years, and she isn’t sure exactly what she wants. Inevitably, they fall in love, but their future is complicated by the opposition of Nick’s son, who is also his law partner, and Jean’s daughter, who blames her mother for the divorce and her own unhappy life. Then an unknown enters the mix and threatens Jean’s and Nick’s happiness—and even their lives.
That sounds fascinating. Was there anything in particular that inspired this book, or did your muse come up with it? 
I spent time in Branson, Missouri, and enjoyed the dinner cruise on the showboat, ‘The Branson Belle’. That and a spectacular view of the Chateau on the Lake resort hotel gave me the idea for the book—which spotlights both settings.
Who is your cover artist and how much input do you have in the design?
The wonderful cover artist is Tina Lynn Stout. The Wild Rose Press gives its authors a huge opportunity for input on the covers, including how the characters look, settings, and special objects included in the story. Then the graphic artists take all the information and craft a magnificent cover. I’ve loved all my covers!
If you could co-author a book with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why? 
Oh, I’d love to write with romantic suspense authors like Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, and Nora Roberts. They have a way of creating a unique blend of characters, setting, and plot, and ramping up the action to mesmerize their readers.
What books are in your TBR pile? 
I’m enjoying doing reviews for an online site called Romancing the Book, so I keep busy with that. I also have the ‘Howdunit’ series on various aspects of criminal investigation since I’m working on a cozy mystery series.
When you begin a new book, do you write it straight through, or do you work on more than one story at a time? 
Usually, one story is all I can handle.
Tell me a little about your back list, and which of these is your own personal favorite? 
My first two books with The Wild Rose Press were Where Is Papa’s Shining Star?  and Finding Papa’s Shining Star. Both are ‘vintage’ romances, the second being a sequel to the first, so I’d have to say they’re both my favorites.
What are you working on at the moment? 
I have a book contracted by Champagne Books which will begin edits in July. I’ve submitted another book to a different publisher and am waiting on the verdict. Meanwhile, as I mentioned, I’m working on a series of six cozy mysteries set in a small Arkansas town.
Thank you for joining me, Judy, if I twist your arm would you give us an excerpt? J
I'm happy to.
   

Excerpt The Showboat Affair

  Nick pulled her closer. “Jeannie, I’m so sorry.”
     “I hated Rand for what he did. For a long time, I wished he’d died instead of my baby.”
     “Shhh, shhh…it’s all right.”
     “I knew what a heartless, selfish bastard he was, and still I stayed with him…let him back into my bed… and I don’t know why. I feel so dirty.”
     “You’re not. You’re not dirty, Jeannie.”
     “You loved Sarah. You were faithful to her. It isn’t fair she died, and I can’t be what she was. You can’t keep on with me and lose your son.”
     “I love you for yourself,” he said, realizing, for now at least, she was past reassurance.
     The red numbers on the clock radio read a quarter to three before Jean cried herself to sleep in his arms. A lifetime of tears, Nick thought. She’s shed a lifetime of tears tonight. He closed his eyes. She’s got to know I understand that kind of loss, and somehow we’ve got to get past it, both of us, and go on. He laid her back on her own pillow and pulled the cover over her shoulders. Someone wants to keep us both imprisoned in our pasts. If we don’t find out who, we’ll never have a future.



Judy Nickles has written since she could hold a pencil. After retirement from teaching, she finally had time to pursue publication. In addition to short stories published online at A Long Story Short and Literary Magic, she has been published in two print anthologies, 'Tis the Season and My First Year in the Classroom, as well as The Storyteller and History Magazine. Two full-length novels, Where is Papa's Shining Star? and its sequel, Finding Papa's Shining Star were released in April by The Wild Rose Press. The Showboat Affair, under the pen name of Gwyneth Greer, will release in 2011.


Besides writing, Judy enjoys genealogical research, reading, travel, and meeting new people. She has two grown sons and two granddaughters.



1 comment:

  1. GOSH, WELL NOW WANT MILA AND JUDY'S BOOK TOO!! LOL

    ReplyDelete