Help Save An Animal!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Echoes and Illusions by Mila Ramos


Title: Echoes and Illusions
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Author: Mila Ramos
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi
Publisher: Melange Books

Blurb:

Reel-to-Real:
A curious invitation mystifies acclaimed movie critic Moira Castle as she returns home to face hidden memories and answers she's not ready to hear or feel.
The Seventh Legend:
A children's tune states the key. A children's story holds the clues. Millennium has passed for the justice to be served.
The Watchers:
Watchers are sworn to uphold the Sacred Draleigh Coven. Selene is their Enforcer and Protector. Yet the Coven never prepared her for one thing – Michael.
Smoke and Mirrors:
Ana Fiore and Dakota Hastings are rival doctors vying for Chief of Staff position. Snowed-in at a conference, the doctors must face their pasts and feelings.

Welcome Mila Ramos, I'm so thrilled to have you here!  To get started, what is your latest offering?
 Echoes and Illusions is my latest work out now through Melange Books and I'm very excited about this new release!
What is Echoes and Illusions all about?
 Echoes and Illusions is a compilation of stories with varying paranormal and sci-fi interests.  Each story deals with an echo of the past, present or future and the discovery of truth of that illusion set in place.  For some characters it was their whole life was an illusion while for some it was only a brief moment in which the truth was found. 
That sounds fascinating. Was there anything in particular that inspired this book, or did your muse come up with it?  
For two of the books, it was solely muse inspired. I can still remember doing some work in the lab (I'm a chemist) and the idea just suddenly popped into my mind. I don't remember what I was exactly doing but I do know that I wrote on my notepad every single idea that came forth. When I went home and decoded all the bits and pieces, those two stories to life. 
I really like this cover. Who is your cover artist and how much input did you have in the design?
At Melange Books, there were two artists who dealt with the cover art: A. Bratt and Mae Powers. Truth be told for this cover art I can't remember if I had suggested it or they had come up with it. Mae Powers and I were talking about what I wanted for the cover and we were both looking at the same time for the same thing. Personally, I give Mae all the credit, she and everyone at Melange are wonderful.  
If you could co-author a book with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Now this is a great question! Goodness, in the paranormal genre my ultimate dream would be to co-author a book with Karen Marie Moning. When I first read her book Beyond the Highland Mist, I was taken away by such amazing writing. I remember reading each and every one of her books and still dumbfounded how someone could put together such a great book in the area I dearly loved. 
My other great, I wish I could co-author with is Anais Nin. She was the woman who opened my eyes to a side of writing I had never known existed. It was several years ago when I first discovered her work and the way she expressed herself defied words. Raw, erotic and soulful, she grasped my attention in a singularly unique way I have yet to see many writers of her time accomplish.   
I am also a huge fan of Ms. Moning and I've read all of her books too, beginning with Kiss Of The Highlander. I totally agree with your assessment of her writing. What books are in your TBR pile?
I'm currently re-reading The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, which I am doing at a delightfully slow pace. I'm hoping, when I get a chance this summer, to finally finish my Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's book for Agent Pendergrast Series, Cemetery Dance. I'm a bit behind in the series but the Agent Pendergrast books always take a bit of time to read.  Each of the books are intense and addictive to read. Usually when I read them I don't sleep for a couple days.
I'll have to check them out. I love suspense. When you begin to write a new book, do you write it straight through, or do you work on more than one story at a time?
Normally I work on more than one story at a time but lately I've been focusing on one particular story. At this moment, I'm heavily editing and expanding a story that I want out very soon.  So as of now, all my efforts are focused on this before I move on to the other stories.
Tell me a little about your back list, and which of these is your own personal favorite?
Let’s see here, I have two stories in the Dark Pleasures and Strange Desires Anthologies out with Melange Books. They are each paranormal romances and great reads. My contemporary romance is a duo story Smoldering Ember and Touch of Fire with Whiskey Creek Press. It’s a part of their Torrid Teasers 44 and set of stories that was one of the fastest I have ever written.
Out of all my stories, Touch of Fire is my personal favorite. The combo stories for Torrid Teasers I wrote in a couple of days, and truth be told, something about that particular story has touched my heart.
What are you working on at the moment?
After the expansion and editing of Prophecy of the Boar, I'm adding a second story to it called Divination. Up next on the list is a toss up. I have been playing with a fairy tale called The Snow Queen, which takes the tale in a completely different direction.  For now the story is slated as another paranormal romance.  If I can get one element down with this story, then I'll be working on a trilogy called, The Dream Walkers, which is the story of three brothers united in one cause, as they aid three descendants marked for death. One murderer is bent on destroying them all.
Thank you for joining me, Mila, if I twist your arm would you give us an excerpt? 
And thank you for having me! Of course I'd love to share an excerpt!  
________________
Reel-to-Real Excerpt
Five years ago, Moira Castle couldn’t tell you her favorite color or the type of food she liked. She couldn’t tell you much about anything personal. All she remembered was waking up in a hospital bed on a cold September morning. Nurses stated she had been found unconscious in the Saintark River and stayed that way for well over three years. The only traces of her former life were a battered journal she had in an old purse and a Celtic wedding band with blue sapphire diamonds forming half the infinity symbol. No other forms of identification were found at the time of recovery. Her life was a blank page but at least she knew her name.
She began searching for the life she once had, but without knowing the starting point, it was hard to see the end. During the time of her coma, nothing in the newspapers or the media showed acknowledgement of recognition. After some time, she gave up and accepted the truth and made way in her new life. She hated the toll the unknown had on her heart. Each search that ended with no answers added new wounds and deeper fears. There were lonely nights ridden with insomnia; she stayed up and watched figures out the window. There were idle fantasies and hopes one of those shadows would materialize into something recognizable but it never happened that way. Vulnerability in its particular malevolent form of solitude tore at the base of her soul. She tried to deny it, she even tried to suppress the loneliness and the pain, but it was useless. Every uncertain emotion of the unknown sent her heart into rages of tears as her mind screamed with grievance. And that is precisely what it was—injustice; it was unfair that her mind couldn’t remember what her heart wished. 
The tears came from the hidden placed inside a woman’s heart that saved fanciful dreams and tucked them away when there was nothing left to believe in. No woman should ever have to feel that in her life.
Those moments she looked down to the glittering, and exotically designed ring on her left hand. Who was it that shared the other half of the infinity ring? What type of man was he? Her only link revealed a past that was as mysterious as the circumstances that had led her to Castle Memorial Hospital. It took some time to officially re-establish herself within society. 
A new last name, social security number, and driver’s license was the first of many steps in the search of familiarity. Adopting the name Castle from the Castle Memorial Hospital, Moira referred to the doctors and nurses, the only people she knew, as her family and friends who had taken care of her. It was through this experience she made friends with Nurse Kasey Newton and Dr. Sean Macat. 
Now, here she was, two years after regaining consciousness, and five years after she severed the ties of her previous life. She was living life as a movie editor in Saintark, Georgia, listening to the rambling of her best friend, Kasey, trying to guess her past.
“I’ve got it, Mo! You were the Queen of Sheba!”
Moira chuckled under her breath as she tried to focus on her work. “Is that the best you can come up with, Kasey?”
“Well you didn’t like the Princess of Wales idea,” her friend commented as she bit into her pizza with gusto.
“The Princess of Wales died genius.”
“Or so they think that’s what really happened. Little did they know she was alive and well, living as a movie editor?”
“Here we go again,” Moira mumbled to herself as she hid a wave of laughter and pushed up her glasses.
“I heard that.”
“So, tell me. How long are we going to play this guessing game?” Moira asked as she continued reading the manuscript before her.
“Until one of my answers is the truth or Matthew McConaughey comes to marry you.”
“He’s a movie star, Kasey.”
“And you’re a script editor, amazing isn’t it?” She smiled wide.
Shaking her head and leaving her friend to her outrageous thinking, Moira continued with her editing. She usually did revisions on the weekends but exploration was on her mind for the following days. She wanted to venture and discover the areas of the town she considered her home. More important matters were on her mind, which geared the exploration, but for now venturing outside of her apartment for leisure instead of work was the goal. As she absent-mindedly twirled her wedding band, once again thoughts of who held the other half of the infinity ring echoed in her mind.


Mila was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  At an early age she learned the valuable secrets books contained. It all started with the Lois Duncan book, “A Gift of Magic.” Mysterious worlds, far away places helped nourish different ideas and concepts of the real world.  It was through this that she discovered a whole new realm of depth. 



The books ranged, and as they did so did her love for different types.  Starting with William Shakespeare, Mila went through all the literary bests; William Blake, Joseph Conrad, Anais Nin, Leo Tolstoy, Ayn Rand, Maya Angelou, Victor Hugo.  Until one day she read a book that changed her life, her first true romance book where characters were real, came to life, and could be the person next door.  From there the world expanded from Nora Roberts, Karen Marie Moning, JR Ward, and beyond. With these authors, her writing took a new turn to role group playing and writing in the paranormal scene.  

Through this, the stories had more vivid ideas and better yet were actually getting heard.
She currently working on her doctorate in Organic Chemistry and resides in Texas, with her husband, family, friends. Her favorite genres are: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Erotica and anything her mind concocts. Crazy and silly as the ideas she sometimes has, her heart is as true as gold and hopes her readers enjoy the stories she writes as much as she loves to write them.
Mila's Links:



Twitter



               BUY HERE
                                                                      
                                                                      BUY HERE


Be sure to leave a comment for the chance to win your choice of one book from Mila's backlist!


This blog post is brought to you by:

Bewitching Book Tours Intro Special: $99 for a one month virtual book tour 


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today! I extremely appreciae it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. We had terrible t-storms here and my router got fried, so I haven't been on line to promote but I will now that I'm up and running again. You are welcome any time.

    R-

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT CAUSE BUT I MARRIED SCRGOOGE. MY DAUGHTER DONATES 500 DOLLARS EVERY YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Rie. Promote away my dear! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your books sound amazing. Another new author to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete