Help Save An Animal!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Coercion by Lux Zakari


Title: Coercion
Release Date: August 2010
Author: Lux Zakari
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Genre: Erotica

Blurb:

How far will one woman go for love?

Introverted and insecure Valerie Mercer was promised that during her senior year of college she would finally attract attention from boys…but never dreamed that would include Michael Vartanian.

Good looking, troubled and every parent’s nightmare, Michael is adamant on introducing Valerie to a world of both pleasure and, inadvertently, heartbreak. His interest in Valerie is dependent upon the mood and fidelity of his on-and-off-again girlfriend, Breeze.

Nevertheless, Valerie lets her hope and desire override common sense and soon finds she can’t deny Michael anything…no matter what’s at stake.

Content warning, explicit sex, prolific drug and alcohol usage, profanity.

Welcome, Lux, I'm so thrilled to have you here!  To get started, what is your latest offering?
Coercion

What is Coercion all about?
Coercion is an erotic novel that takes place in 1974 in a small town in Missouri, where an ambitious young woman, Valerie, is surprised by how much attention she’s getting from boys since her body underwent a slimming transformation. One of those boys happens to be Michael Vartanian, a rebel-without-a-cause who is lost in life but still makes girls’ knees weak—and that includes not only Valerie but his on-off girlfriend, Breeze. The story explores the complexities of love and sex as Michael and Valerie embark on a relationship with crippling lows—and unfathomable highs.

That sounds intriguing. Was there anything in particular that inspired this book, or did your muse come up with it?
I actually wrote a semi-tongue-in-cheek list called “How to Write Coercion,” which outlines everything that went into creating the story, including enduring a breakup and what music I was listening to at the time.

What a great concept! Who is your cover artist and how much input do you have in the design?
The artist is Valerie Tibbs, and I did have the opportunity to throw my two cents in; while I didn’t pick the image, I wanted something where the man (Michael) was standing behind the woman (Valerie) and being dominating/sexy. I’ve gotten many positive comments regarding the boobilicious cover model!

I can see why! Now, if you could co-author a book with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
I have a friend with whom I’ve written a novel before, and she’s brilliant. We have similar visions for our work and I intensely value her opinion, ideas and words. Unfortunately, she has no aspirations to be an author, but I keep trying to lure her to the dark side anyway.

LOL, she sounds smart too! What books are in your TBR pile?
So many—I wish I had the time to read as much as I’d like. Soon, I hope to read Alison Tyler’s Alison’s Wonderland and L.A. Dale’s Heart of Glass

When you begin a new book, do you write it straight through, or do you work on more than one story at a time?
I am usually devoted to one project at a time, but these days I’m so overwhelmed with things to do and new ideas that I work on whatever I’m inspired to at that moment!

What are you working on at the moment?
I’m currently in the midst of finding a home for two new novels and working on another that started out as a friends-becoming-more scenario meets Eyes Wide Shut, but it’s taking on a life of its own.

I know what you mean. Thank you for joining me, Lux, if I twist your arm would you give us an excerpt? 
Of course, Rie! Here you are, a short steamy scene:

EXCERPT:
Valerie returned to the living room, shut the wooden doors behind her and sat on the couch next to Michael, whose legs still bobbed. “You know,” she said after a moment’s pause, “my mom told me once that you shake the luck out of you when you move your leg like that, and when you finally stop, all your luck will be gone.”

“Too late.” He paused his motions. “So what happens if I never stop shaking my legs? Then I’ll always have luck to lose.”

Valerie smiled. “I suppose that’s one way of looking at it.” She cleared her throat. “Um, how did you know where I live?”

“I was just driving around and recognized your mom’s Volvo in the drive,” he said, his tone devoid of emotion. Then he swiveled his head to look at Valerie, his eyes wide. “Your mom’s not here, is she?”

“Yeah, but she and my dad are already in bed. They always zonk out before ten and sleep like the dead.”

His shoulders slumped with relief. “Good.”

Her heart pounded at his reaction as she imagined all the evening’s possibilities. Even though Michael sat on the couch, apparently unaffected by the fact they were essentially alone in the house, it was all she could think about. In fact, being alone with him was all she ever thought about.

And now here he was, in her living room with Breeze nowhere in sight. Many of her fantasies began with such a scenario, but she didn’t know how the reality of the situation would actually pan out.

“What brings you here?” she asked, not knowing how to have a conversation with him.

He ran a hand through his thick hair. “Why? You want me to go?”

“No. I just...” Valerie trailed off, unable to express how she felt. She hoped he’d acknowledge that him being around her wasn’t an everyday occurrence and offer some kind of explanation.

He gave her an indolent smile and put his hands behind his head. “I just felt like visiting.” His words were accompanied by a yawn. “I realized we haven’t hung out in awhile.”

“We’ve never really hung out.”

“Then what do you call what we did last month?”

Her face flushed. The way he’d been acting, she hadn’t thought he’d bring it up, but now that he had, she realized she didn’t know what she wanted him to say about it. “I don’t know. But I didn’t consider that ‘hanging out.’”

Michael chuckled. “I guess it wasn’t.” He studied her for a moment. “Let me rephrase that. I realized we haven’t fooled around in awhile.”

The fever spreading through her cheeks intensified as she rubbed the backside of her arms. “Well, it hasn’t seemed like you wanted me around.”

“Sure I have,” he said, clearly unconcerned.

“Really?” Skepticism laced her words. “But you haven’t spoken to me in weeks.”

“Be fair. You haven’t talked to me either.” He lowered his hands and leaned into her. “And you know I’m right.”

Valerie’s mouth went dry from Michael’s nearness as she stared at him wordlessly. A flood of warmth rushed to her most private parts.

He stared at her, his thick lashes surrounding his dark, penetrating eyes like silky crescents. Then he reached out to her, drawing idle patterns on her arm with his index finger. “You ever think about that day in the parking lot?”

“All the time.” The words flew out of her before her brain could even process them.

“Oh, yeah?” A smirk appeared on his face. “Me too.”

“Really?” she asked, surprised.

“Mmm-hmm.” His hand moved to her chest, where he traced the underside of her right breast over her t-shirt. “Why does that shock you?”

“I’m not sure.” Her mind grew foggy as his finger circled her nipple. “I guess because you’re with Breeze, and we haven’t really spoken or anything since—”

“Do you think of that day when you make yourself come?”

“I have,” she said after a moment’s pause.

His hand drifted to the hem of her shirt and disappeared underneath the fabric. Valerie inhaled sharply when he touched the bare skin of her stomach. “And what about it was so hot?”

“I don’t know.” She bit her lip as his hand suddenly engulfed her breast, encased in a pale blue bra.

He pinched her nipple through the lacy material. “Figure it out.”

She winced with pleasure. “I just liked it. I can’t explain it. It was exciting.”

“It was exciting because you were a good girl doing something bad,” he said in a thick voice as his hand slipped inside her bra and touched her breast.

She shivered. “You think I’m a good girl?” She’d already started to lose herself in his cool hands on her hot skin.

“For now, at least.” Michael ceased touching her and instead folded his hands in his lap, almost demurely. “Prove to me you’re not.”

A twinge of fear and anticipation raced through her. “How?”

He licked his lips. “I wanna watch you.”

Dread splashed over her like a bucket of ice water. “Watch me do what?”

He leaned toward her and kissed her softly. Then he pulled away slightly and whispered against her mouth, “Show me. Show me what you do.” He took her hand in his and guided it between her legs. “Show me what you do when you think of me.”

She let out a shaky breath. “I don’t think so.”

“Why?”

“Because.” She bit her lip. “I’m nervous.”

He grinned. “You worry too much. What’s to be nervous about?” He kissed her neck, nibbling at the sensitive skin. “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought about you fingering yourself and screaming my name when you come.”

A rash of goose bumps broke out on her arms. “You have?”

“Yeah.” His teeth nipped at her earlobe. “And it’s the hottest fucking thing.”

His words sent a shiver up her spine. “Really?”

“Really.” He gently pushed her down so she lay on the couch. “Now show me what you do. I’ll tell you if it’s like how I pictured it.”

Valerie swallowed the lump in her throat. There was something wild in his eyes telling her that if she didn’t do exactly what he wanted, she’d lose him forever. He would walk right out the door and never come back. She’d dreamed of this moment—or at least of being with him—for years, even more so since last month. She wanted to do everything she could to keep him. This was a golden opportunity.

She bit her lip as her hands slowly traveled south on her body.

4 comments:

  1. Hot excerpt, lux! Congrats on the release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book. Love the cover and looking forward to reading it.

    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terra -- I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete