Help Save An Animal!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Dead Girls, Dogs And Ponies by Lenore Butcher


Title: Dead Girls, Dogs and Ponies
Release Date: November 2009 
Author: Lenore Butcher
Facebook Page
Publisher: XOXO Publishing
Buy Link 
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Vampire/Zombie


BlurbDead Girls Dogs and Ponies is in the dark underbelly of the city. Justin is an information broker who believes in justice for the oppressed servants of the city's vampires. He wants to solve the mystery of who has begun a war with the city's most powerful vampiric Dynasty, because he wants to ensure the safety of the mortals in the coming war and to eventually be reunited with his lost love. When the vampires themselves prove to be the ones with the most to lose, Justin finds out he’s for more trouble than he’d originally anticipated.


Welcome Lenore! What is your latest offering? 
Dead Girls, Dogs and Ponies


What is Dead Girls, Dogs and Ponies all about?  
Succinctly, it’s a reinvention of a genre: the hard boiled zombie detective novel. Justin is an information broker who also happens to be a zombie. He works in the darkest heart of the city, dealing gossip, rumour and innuendo with the aid of his sidekick Gord (who is not a zombie).  Things go sideways for Justin when he’s hired by a sociopathic vampire to find out who has banned her family from a local vampire haunt.  What initially seems to be a simple case turns out to have levels and layers he hadn’t anticipated and he stands to lose a great deal by the end of the novel unless he thinks quickly and acts even more quickly.
  
That sounds like a great read. How did you come up with the idea? 
The opening scene sort of came to me and I went from there.  I initially wrote the book as part of a novel writing challenge I did with some friends and at the end of the process, much to my surprise, I had written not only a novel, but what promises to be the beginning of a series of novels about Justin and his fellow denizens of the dark cities in this world. 

Tell me about your past releases and a little secret about yourself that no one else knows—I promise I won’t tell!
This is my first full length novel release, but I also have a short story under a pen name in the XOXO Publishing Anthology ‘Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner’, and somewhere in my murky past I’ve published a poem or two.


A secret?  Hmm.  Despite being a Mistress of Horror and lover of all things in the genre, I’m scared of spiders.  And monkeys.


Any new releases on the horizon this year?
The sequel to Dead Girls will hopefully be out this fall. It’s called Food Chain Boogie.

What are you working on right now?
The aforementioned Food Chain Boogie and  I’m working on a new book called Confessions of a Badge Bunny.  While Justin isn’t in this one, you will see some other familiar faces from the first two books and perhaps learn a thing or two about some of the more mysterious characters introduced in Dead Girls.


Thank you for joining me, Lenore. Is there anything else you'd like the readers to know?
Just that I write stories with a darkly humourous twist that are sure to please.   


Excerpt from Dead Girls, Dogs And Ponies:
A red light slowed our progress and the car idled noisily, waiting for the change.  Gord appeared relaxed beside me, but I knew he was scanning the street around us alertly, in case trouble reared its’ ugly head.
      As luck would have it, trouble tapped politely on my window.  I admit, it startled me and I jumped a bit.  There may even have been an excited utterance of sorts, possibly some kind of rattled cry, until I looked to the side and saw who it was.
      “Tyrone,” I said to Gord. “We have to see what he wants.”  I knew damn well what he wanted.  The only question was how much his silence would cost me and if I was willing to pay the price.
      The crapmobile’s passenger side window hadn’t been operational since… well since as long as Gord had the car as long as I could figure.  I gestured to Tyrone to step back and I opened the door.
      The fragrance of Tyrone overwhelmed me as soon as the door was open -- a blend of body odour, grease and Cool Mint Listerine, his libation of choice.  “Hey, Ty,” I said weakly, “What’s up?” 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the interview,Lenore. I hope Dead Girls, Dogs and Ponies does go into a series. I can hardly wait to read it and when it's finished, Food Chain Boogie.
    Patsy H.
    mom1248@att.net

    ReplyDelete